The New York State Unified Court System offers free instruction booklets and forms for people starting a divorce.
Before you use the booklets and forms, we strongly suggest that you give serious thought to using a lawyer for your divorce, even if you believe that your divorce will be “uncontested” (i.e., your spouse will not oppose the divorce in any way). There can be a lot more to think about than just ending the marriage and filling out court papers. (For example, there may be property to divide between you and your spouse, or you may need an Order of Protection and/or child support and other financial support, among other things.)
If you are unsure how to find a lawyer, these resources can help you:
- Call the New York State Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (toll free) at 1-800-342-3661;
- Go to lawhelp.org if you cannot afford a lawyer;
- Visit the court system's courthelp website;
- Contact your local bar association for a referral;
- If you live in the New York City area, go to the Collaborative Family Law Center to learn if you may be eligible for reduced-fee or free collaborative law services through a court-sponsored pilot program.
- Ask at any courthouse about lawyer referral services.
Please read the instructions below that fit your situation
BEFORE filling out the forms.
Official Statewide Forms:
- For attorneys and self-represented litigants
- Valid throughout New York State
- Required by Court Rules
- * Fillable PDF Forms do not work in FireFox
IMPORTANT: You can use either the Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Reader to fill out the application. To save data entered in your form, you must use the FREE Foxit Reader or Foxit Phantom (paid product).
Using Foxit Reader* (a free & easy to download Reader):
First, download and save the application to your local computer. Next, install Foxit, using these instructions.
*You must use Microsoft's Internet Explorer Browser when working with Foxit.
Forms For Privately Paid Law Guardians (in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Departments