The 8th Annual New York Statewide Civil Legal Aid Technology Conference was convened by the Permanent Commission on Access to Justice in partnership with Cornell Tech. The conference was held remotely via Microsoft Teams in the afternoons of Tuesday, April 18 and Wednesday, April 19, 2023. The conference targets the New York State civil legal aid community and is open to attorneys and other interested staff from New York legal services programs as well as access to justice stakeholders from New York and out-of-state.
Conference Agenda and CLE materials:
Links to session recordings and transcripts will be posted in the Agenda. Check back in June.
There are 16 sessions offered at this year's conference, including four plenary sessions:
• Rapid Fire Tech, presenters highlight innovative technology initiatives
• Building Cultures of Innovation, law professors discuss teaching legal technology
• LSC Baselines, presenters discuss new 2023 technology baselines for providers
• 25 Apps in 50 Minutes, presenters showcase apps, hacks and hot tips
There are also 12 breakout sessions. Breakout sessions are loosely divided into four tracks:
Track A: Data and Privacy
Track B: Court Technology
Track C: Law Practice Management
Track D: Online Legal Services Delivery
Content is related to legal technology and the practice of law.
Continuing Education Credit (CLE)
The period to submit CLE requests has closed. If you submitted a CLE Sign-In and Evaluation Form, you should have received your CLE credit via email from Amy McDonald. If you submitted a request for CLE for sessions on both days of the conference, you should have received two emails with two certificates.
If you believe that you submitted your request on time and you were not emailed a certificate, contact: Amy McDonald at: Amy.McDonald@Skadden.com.
The New York State Permanent Commission on Access to Justice extends its deep appreciation to Commission Member, Scott D. Musoff, and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates for providing CLE for this conference.
2023 Conference Planning Committee
We acknowledge the enormous contribution of the members of the 2023 Technology Conference Planning Committee. The Committee met meeting weekly over several months; sharing their time and expertise in order to make the conference a success. Thank you:
- Helaine Barnett, Chair, Permanent Commission on Access to Justice
- Deborah Wright, Chair, Technology Working Group
- Matt D'Amore, Director, Law, Technology & Entrepreneurship Program, Cornell Tech & Cornell Law School
- Rochelle Klempner, Office of Court Administration Counsel to the Technology Working Group
- Tim Baran, Program Director, New York Justice Initiatives, Pro Bono Net
- Glenn Baum, Data & Technology Training Manager at the Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc.
- Christine M. Fecko, General Counsel, NYS IOLA Fund
- Colleen Finan Fehringer, Deputy Director of Grant Administration, NYS IOLA Fund
- John Greiner, Founder & CEO, Just-Tech
- Jeff L. Hogue, Director of Operations, LegalServer
- Alexander Horwitz, Chief Operating Officer, Legal Services NYC
- Erica Ludwick, Esq., Deputy Director, Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York
- Sateesh Nori, Executive Director, JustFix
- Pete Nowacki, Network/Systems Engineer, NYS Unified Court System
- Jeanne Ortiz-Ortiz, Senior Program Manager, Pro Bono Net
- Erin Riker, Technology-Based Legal Services Attorney, Center for Elder Law and Justice
- Ellen Samuel, Director of Consulting, Just-Tech
- Christopher Schwartz, Community Empowerment Advisor, LegalServer
- Libby Vazquez, Director of Legal Services, City Bar Justice Center
New York State Unified Court System Tech Team
Many thanks to the New York State Unified Court System Division of Technology staff for their hard work and assistance making sure that the technology worked at our technology conference:
- Matthew Shkaf – Network Systems Engineer I
- Dawn Cota - Network Systems Engineer II
- Gregory Lochner – Network Systems Technician II
- Christopher Kissane – Network Systems Technician II
- Brendan Burke - Network Systems Technician II
- Tyler Lehr - Network Systems Technician III