The Permanent Commission on Access to Justice, the New York State IOLA Fund and NYSTech, provide free webinars to support the New York State legal services community on topics relating to remote working, security and the delivery of legal services. Technology support webinars are intended for tech responsible staff, senior management and interested attorneys at New York State legal services organizations. All the webinar presenters volunteer their time and expertise.
If you would like to be added to the technology mailing list to be notified of upcoming Technology Support Webinars and the 2022 Technology Conference, email:email@example.com.
2021 Upcoming Technology Support Webinars
The 2021 webinar series has ended. Check back here in 2022.
2021 Past Technology Support Webinars
Webinar recordings, slide decks and materials are posted below.
- Session 1: January 27, 2021, Microsoft Teams for Virtual Proceedings, Slides, presented by Christine Sisario, Chief Information Officer, New York State Unified Court System Division of Court Technology and Court Research and Steven Hicks, Senior Analyst, New York State Unified Court System Division of Technology and Court Research
- Session 2: May 27, 2021, Improving Your Remote Legal Services: Practical Solutions for Getting Devices and Internet Service to Your Clients, Slides, moderated by Tim Baran, Technology Innovation Manager, Pro Bono Net, and presented by Dr. Rashid Mohammed, Director of Operations, JustCause; Rina Padua, Project Coordinator, Just-Tech; Josh Waldman, Economic Policy Researcher; Tashi Lhewa, Esq., Consumer Law Project, The Legal Aid Society
- Session 3: June 9, 2021, Building a Bridge to Somewhere: Mobile Tech for Clients and Jurors, moderated by Sateesh Nori, Attorney in Charge of the Queens Neighborhood Office of the Legal Aid Society and Clinical Adjunct Professor of Law at New York University School of Law, and presented by Jennifer Quijano, Supervising Attorney, The Legal Aid Society; Hongxi Wang, student, Columbia Law School; Danielle Haddad, student, Columbia Law School; Jessica Lewis Kelly, Esq., Special Assistant to the Administrative Director of the Courts, New Jersey Judiciary; Jennifer Weatherby Morris, Chief, Programs and Procedures, New Jersey Judiciary; Brian J. McLaughlin, Statewide Manager of Jury Programs, New Jersey Judiciary
- Session 4: July 21, 2021, So Many Acronyms: NYSCEF, EDDS & VEC (New York State Court E-filing, Electronic Document Delivery System and Virtual Evidence Courtroom), Slides, NYSCEF NYC Housing Court Packet, EDDS User Manual, VEC Instructions, presented by Jeff Carucci, Director and Statewide Coordinator of E-filing, New York State Unified Court System
- Session 5: August 25, 2021, Leadership Roundtable: Pandemic Tech and Culture Shifts in the Delivery of Civil Legal Services, moderated by Lillian M. Moy, Executive Director, Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York; panelists: Rachel Chazin Halperin, Chief Executive Officer, Legal Services of the Hudson Valley; Tiffany Liston, Executive Director, Mobilization for Justice; Kurt M. Denk, Executive Director, City Bar Justice Center, C. Kenneth Perri, Executive Director, Legal Assistance of Western New York
2020 Pandemic Technology Support Webinars
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, technology support webinars were held for 13 weeks beginning on March 25, 2020 and ending on June 17, 2020 to help legal services staff cope with the transition to remote working. Webinars were held every Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m. and lasted up to 90 minutes to include time to ask questions, share challenges and solutions and help shape future topics and identify other support for the community.
Webinar recordings, slide decks and materials are posted below.
- Session 1: March 25, 2020, Overview of Working Remotely, Slides, presented by Jeff Hogue, Director of Operations, LegalServer, Chris Schwartz, Customer Support and Implementation Specialist, LegalServer, Anna Steele, Director of Consulting, Just-Tech, and Jon Snell, Lead Developer, LegalServer
- Session 2: April 1, 2020, Getting Your Legal Program Set-up for Remote Working, Slides, presented by John Greiner, Founder and President, Just-Tech, Glenn Baum, Data and Technology Manager, Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc., and Cecilia Dougherty, Manager of Data, Evaluation, and Impact, Sanctuary for Families
- Session 3: April 8, 2020, Training Your Staff (On-the-Fly) to Work Remotely, Slides, presented by Joanne Sirotkin, Attorney-in-Charge, White Plains Office, Legal Services of Hudson Valley, and Stephen Goldmeier, Consultant, Just-Tech
- Session 4: April 15, 2020, Covid-19 Security 101 for Home Users, Slides, Sample Emergency Work From Home Policy, presented by John Greiner, Founder and President, Just-Tech, and Jon Miller, Technology Director, Legal Assistance of Western New York
- Session 5: April 22, 2020, Technology Tools for Reaching Clients During the Pandemic, Slides, presented by Melissa Woods, Staff Paralegal, Center for Elder Law & Justice, Erin L. Riker, Staff Attorney, Center for Elder Law & Justice and Sarah Galvin, Senior Staff Attorney, Justice in Aging
- Session 6: April 29, 2020, Suddenly Supervising and Managing Remote Staff, Slides, Handout, presented by Ellen Hemley, Vice President of Advocate Resources and Training, Shriver Center on Poverty Law, Rasheeda Philips, Senior Advocate Resources & Training Attorney, Shriver Center on Poverty Law, and Terrance O'Neil, Director of Online Learning, Shriver Center on Poverty Law
- Session 7: May 6, 2020, Using Microsoft Teams, Slides, presented by Anna Steele, Director of Consulting, Just-Tech
- Session 8: May 13, 2020, Technology Policies (Part I) Before you Start Cooking, Have a Recipe, Slides, presented by Stephen Goldmeier, Consultant, Just-Tech, and Mary O'Shaughnessy, Director of Information Services, Her Justice
- Session 9: May 20, 2020, Implementing Critical Technology Policies and Practices, Part 2, Slides, presented by John Greiner, Founder and President, Just-Tech, and Ben Chan, Information Technology Manager Queens, Center for Family Representation
- Session 10: May 27, 2020, Virtual Court Hearings & the Electronic Document Delivery System (EDDS), Slides, EDDS Handout, presented by Christine Sisario, Chief Information Officer, New York State Court System Division of Technology and Court Research, and Jeff Carucci, Director and Statewide Coordinator of E-filing, New York State Court System
- Session 11: June 3, 2020, Practical Considerations for Attorneys for in the Virtual Courtroom, Slides, presented by Anna Marie Diamante, Esq., Director, Family and Matrimonial Practice, Her Justice, and Nicole Parshall, Supervising Attorney, Center for Elder Law & Justice
- Session 12: June 10, 2020, Take a Breath: Self-Care During Times of Uncertainty, Slides, presented by Morgan Siegel, LMHC, Assistant Director for Case Coordination, NMIC, Veronica Gonzalez, LMSW, Social Work Manager, Her Justice, and Judi Cohen, Warrior One
- Session 13: June 17, 2010, Operating Legal Services Offices in the Time of COVID: NYS Leaders Talk about What Work Now and Later May Look Like for their Legal Staff and Clients, Materials, presented by Amy Barasch, Esq., Executive Director, Her Justice, Lynn M. Kelly, Esq., Executive Director, City Bar Justice Center, Lillian Moy, Esq., Executive Director, Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, and Carla Palumbo, Esq., President & CEO, Legal Aid Society of Rochester