In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Permanent Commission on Access to Justice, the New York State IOLA Fund and NYSTech, set-up a weekly free webinar series to support the New York State legal services community on topics relating to remote working, security and the delivery of legal services.
Technology Support Webinars
Technology support webinars were intended for tech responsible staff and senior management at New York State legal services organizations to help cope with the transition to remote working. All the webinar presenters volunteered their time and expertise.
Technology support webinars were held for 13 weeks beginning on March 25, 2020 and ending on June 17, 2020. Webinars were held every Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m and lasted up to 90 minutes to include time to ask questions, share challenges and solutions and help shape future topics and identify other support for the community.
Recorded Webinars & Slides
Webinars recordings, slide decks and materials are posted below.
- Session 1: March 25, 2020, Overview of Working Remotely, Slides, presented by Jeff Hogue, Director of Operations, LegalServer, Chris Schwartz, Customer Support and Implementation Specialist, LegalServer, Anna Steele, Director of Consulting, Just-Tech, and Jon Snell, Lead Developer, LegalServer
- Session 2: April 1, 2020, Getting Your Legal Program Set-up for Remote Working, Slides, presented by John Greiner, Founder and President, Just-Tech, Glenn Baum, Data and Technology Manager, Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc., and Cecilia Dougherty, Manager of Data, Evaluation, and Impact, Sanctuary for Families
- Session 3: April 8, 2020, Training Your Staff (On-the-Fly) to Work Remotely, Slides, presented by Joanne Sirotkin, Attorney-in-Charge, White Plains Office, Legal Services of Hudson Valley, and Stephen Goldmeier, Consultant, Just-Tech
- Session 4: April 15, 2020, Covid-19 Security 101 for Home Users, Slides, Sample Emergency Work From Home Policy, presented by John Greiner, Founder and President, Just-Tech, and Jon Miller, Technology Director, Legal Assistance of Western New York
- Session 5: April 22, 2020, Technology Tools for Reaching Clients During the Pandemic, Slides, presented by Melissa Woods, Staff Paralegal, Center for Elder Law & Justice, Erin L. Riker, Staff Attorney, Center for Elder Law & Justice and Sarah Galvin, Senior Staff Attorney, Justice in Aging
- Session 6: April 29, 2020, Suddenly Supervising and Managing Remote Staff, Slides, Handout, presented by Ellen Hemley, Vice President of Advocate Resources and Training, Shriver Center on Poverty Law, Rasheeda Philips, Senior Advocate Resources & Training Attorney, Shriver Center on Poverty Law, and Terrance O'Neil, Director of Online Learning, Shriver Center on Poverty Law
- Session 7: May 6, 2020, Using Microsoft Teams, Slides, presented by Anna Steele, Director of Consulting, Just-Tech
- Session 8: May 13, 2020, Technology Policies (Part I) Before you Start Cooking, Have a Recipe, Slides, presented by Stephen Goldmeier, Consultant, Just-Tech, and Mary O'Shaughnessy, Director of Information Services, Her Justice
- Session 9: May 20, 2020, Implementing Critical Technology Policies and Practices, Part 2, Slides, presented by John Greiner, Founder and President, Just-Tech, and Ben Chan, Information Technology Manager Queens, Center for Family Representation
- Session 10: May 27, 2020, Virtual Court Hearings & the Electronic Document Delivery System (EDDS), Slides, EDDS Handout, presented by Christine Sisario, Director of Technology, New York State Court System Division of Technology and Court Research, and Jeff Carucci, Director and Statewide Coordinator of E-filing, New York State Court System
- Session 11: June 3, 2020, Practical Considerations for Attorneys for in the Virtual Courtroom, Slides, presented by Anna Marie Diamante, Esq., Director, Family and Matrimonial Practice, Her Justice, and Nicole Parshall, Supervising Attorney, Center for Elder Law & Justice
- Session 12: June 10, 2020, Take a Breath: Self-Care During Times of Uncertainty, Slides, presented by Morgan Siegel, LMHC, Assistant Director for Case Coordination, NMIC, Veronica Gonzalez, LMSW, Social Work Manager, Her Justice, and Judi Cohen, Warrior One
- Session 13: June 17, 2010, Operating Legal Services Offices in the Time of COVID: NYS Leaders Talk about What Work Now and Later May Look Like for their Legal Staff and Clients, Materials, presented by Amy Barasch, Esq., Executive Director, Her Justice, Lynn M. Kelly, Esq., Executive Director, City Bar Justice Center, Lillian Moy, Esq., Executive Director, Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, and Carla Palumbo, Esq., President & CEO, Legal Aid Society of Rochester