NYS COURT OFFICER - TRAINEE EXAM # 45-834
UPSTATE ONLY: JD 3, 4, 5, 6, 7*, 8
RECEIVE EXAM NOTIFICATIONS
Text "COURTOFFICER" to 77222
* The exam will be administered in JD7; however, there are currently no NYS Court Officer-Trainee positions in JD7.
FILE FOR THIS EXAM ONLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING IN CENTRAL, WESTERN OR NORTHERN NEW YORK STATE.
Please note that the NYS COURT OFFICER-TRAINEE EXAMINATION 45-834 will be held ONLY at exam sites convenient to Upstate New York. Passing candidates will ONLY be hired for UPSTATE LOCATIONS JUDICIAL DISTRICTS 3, 4, 5, 6, AND 8. (JUDICIAL DISTRICT MAP) Refer to examination announcement for examination dates and self-scheduling information.
ELIGIBLE LIST # 45-815, ESTABLISHED MARCH 30, 2022, WILL REMAIN ACTIVE FOR DOWNSTATE HIRING.
April 20, 2024 to May 3, 2024
10 A.M. January 3, 2024 through February 14, 2024
Exam Study Guides & Screening Information
New York State Court Officer-Trainees enter the academy at Judicial Grade 16. Effective April 1, 2024, starting salary will be $56,411. New York State Court Officer-Trainees are eligible for an annual Uniform & Equipment Allowance of $1,565 and an annual Security and Law Enforcement Differential of $825. Upon successful completion of a two-year traineeship, New York State Court Officer-Trainees are promoted to New York State Court Officer at Judicial Grade 19. Effective April 1, 2025, the Judicial Grade 19 starting salary is $68,593.
• Twenty (20) Paid Vacation Days in the 1st year
• Twenty-Seven (27) Paid Vacation Days by 7th year
• Thirteen (13) Paid Holidays
• Pre-Tour Prep Leave Time
• Regular Work Schedule
• Excellent Health Insurance
• Retirement Benefits
• Limited Evening and Weekend Assignments
• Deferred Compensation Option
Minimum Qualifications to be Appointed
New York State Court Officer-Trainees, at time of appointment to the position*, must be:
• at least 20.5 years old
• a high school graduate or equivalent
• A United States Citizen
• A resident of New York State
• Valid New York State Driver’s License
• Legally eligible to purchase and carry firearms
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Physical Ability, Medical, Psychological and Background Screening
About the Examination
- Talogy Appointment Scheduling Guide
- How to Select Test Center/Date Range
- Minor’s Release Form
- Examination Unit
- Court Officer-Trainee Recruitment
Veteran Credit Form (Only for applicants claiming veteran credits)
NY State Unified Court System employees will be required to select among the dates/times available on Saturdays and Sundays during the exam administration period. Those employees that are regularly scheduled to work weekends shall be granted excused leave to take the exam during work hours in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement or Rules of the Chief Judge.
*NY State Court Officer-Trainees who fail to meet performance standards during Academy Basic Training may be terminated at any time as the minimum probationary period under Rules of the Chief Judge 25.22(b) does not apply to New York State Court Officer-Trainees.