SEARCH LOGIC - ALTERNATIVE SEARCH ENGINE
To start your search (accessible by clicking on "Search Opinions" in the menu to the left), using the "Alternative Search Engine":
Type legacyhtm as your first search term, followed by other words that describe your issue, and click ENTER on your keyboard.
1. To retrieve opinions including ALL of your terms.
To retrieve opinions that include ALL of your search terms, list your search terms with spaces between them in the search box.
Example: A search for legacyhtm MUSIC ORCHESTRA retrieves opinions that include both the term “music” and the term “orchestra,” as well as some variations on those words and some synonyms.
Caution: Do not enter words such as “NEAR” or “NOT” unless you want to retrieve opinions that include those specific words.
2. To retrieve opinions including ANY of your terms.
To retrieve opinions that include ANY of your search terms, use the "pipe symbol" (|) between them.
Example: A search for legacyhtm MUSIC | ORCHESTRA retrieves opinions that include the term “music” or “orchestra,” as well as some variations on those words and some synonyms.
Note: This is a vertical bar, not a letter of the alphabet. Look for this symbol on your keyboard, just above the ENTER key. You may need to hold down the SHIFT key to access the pipe symbol, if it is on the same key with the backslash symbol.
3. To retrieve opinions that EXCLUDE one or more terms.
To retrieve opinions that exclude certain terms, insert a hyphen (-) before each term you want to exclude.
Example: A search for legacyhtm MUSIC -ORCHESTRA retrieves opinions that include the term “music”, as well as some variations on that word and some synonyms, but not the term “orchestra”.
4. To retrieve opinions that include a PHRASE.
To retrieve opinions that include an exact phrase, enclose the phrase in quotation marks.
Example: A search for legacyhtm "ORIGINAL LYRICS" retrieves one opinion that includes the term “original lyrics”.
1. To search for an opinion and all opinions that cite it, simply enter the opinion number.
For example: A search for legacyhtm 09-101 retrieves both Opinion 09-101 and Opinion 10-119, which cites Opinion 09-101.
2. Check your spelling.
3. Capitalization is irrelevant.
4. The software automatically generates synonyms and searches for word variants. If you want only one specific form of a word, put it in quotation marks.
5. Please note that the search engine returns each search result at least twice.
6. Only 10 search results are shown initially. To view all search results on one page, scroll down to the “Results per page” line and click on “100”: