The Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics provides ethics advice to judges, justices and quasi-judicial officials of the NYS Unified Court System about their own conduct.
Our sole mission is to help judges comply with the Rules Governing Judicial Conduct.
|Co-Chairs:||Hon. Margaret T. Walsh
Hon. Lillian Wan
|Chief Counsel:||Laura L. Smith, Esq.|
(Those who sent in inquiries for consideration at the October meeting may call on the afternoon of October 27 to learn the disposition by telephone.)
Telephone: 1-866-795-8343 (toll free)
E-Mail: email@example.com (see guidelines).
Mailing Address (see guidelines):
Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics
c/o Laura L. Smith, Esq., Chief Counsel
25 Beaver Street, 8th floor
New York, NY 10004
New or Notable
- FYI: OCA's Request for Comment on 100.4(H) (Nov 2022)
- Remembering JJ. Borrelli and Gorski (Sept 2022)
- Subject-matter index: 100.4(H) reporting & compensation for extra-judicial activities (Apr 2022)
- FYI: CJC's annual report [external] stresses financial disclosures and social media (Mar 2022)
- Opinion 21-22(A): “we no longer prohibit remittal of disqualification merely because a party is unrepresented" (Mar 2021)
- Recent Broadcasts (ongoing)
Self-Help (Finding Opinions)
Our search page provides access to the search engine and other resources. Here are some additional alternatives:
- Subject Matter Index (2015 and later)
- Learning Corner (educational/reference materials on selected topics, including Judiciary Law § 9 and coronavirus issues)
- Searchable Opinion Digests (2009 and later)
Once the Committee meets and decides an inquiry (see Meeting Dates), the inquiring judge may call us at 1-866-795-8343 to learn the disposition immediately by telephone.
A formal written opinion will follow in due course.