Should your legal problem be so complex, or become complex or contested, some professional organizations have referral services which you may use to attempt to retain an attorney to represent you. These organizations include:
New York State Bar Association - Estate & Surrogate Court Assistance
The New York State Bar Association website has a program that provides volunteer attorneys to assist with Surrogate Court matters. The website also provides explanations and forms.
Planning & Estates Law Project at the New York City Bar
For assistance information on Surrogate court matters call the PELP project at the New York City Bar Justice Center.
- Call and leave a message with your name, phone number and a brief message.
- Assist with probate, administration, surrogate court matters, wills, life planning documents
- Do not represent people in court, trusts or contested matters
City Bar Justice Center
- Online Intake for Low Income New Yorkers
- The City Bar Justice center has a Legal Referral Service for New Yorkers who do not qualify as low income. (212) 626-7373 for a referral to an attorney.
Richmond County Bar Association
25 Hyatt Street - Suite 203
Staten Island, NY 10301
Telephone (718) 442-4500
Fax (718) 442-2019
Brooklyn Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Legal Intake hour - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - 10 am - 4 pm, Article 17 A Guardianships, Powers of Attorney, Health Care Proxy
- Fill out an online Intake
- Legal Referral Service
New York State Court's Court Help Surrogate's Court DIY Forms
The DIY website has instructions and documents.
Safe Deposit Box Petition Program
Artivle 17 A Guardianship
Law Help NY
Law Help NY provides a research database to find an appropriate legal service organization, look up legal information, and DIY Forms.
Law Help Interactive
Interactive assistance for legal documents.