Resources for Self-Represented Court Users

Should your legal problem be so complex, or become complex or contested, some professional organizations have referral services which you may use to attempt to retain an attorney to represent you. These organizations include:

New York State Bar Association - Estate and Surrogate Court Assistance
The New York State Bar Association website has a program that provides volunteer attorneys to assist with Surrogate Court matters. The website also provides explanations and forms.

New York Bar Foundation
One Elk Street
Albany, NY 12207
Telephone (518) 487-5651
Fax (518) 487-5699

Planning & Estates Law Project at the New York City Bar (212) 382-6756
For assistance information on Surrogate court matters call the PELP project at the New York City Bar Justice Center.

  • Call and leave a message wih your name, phone number and a brief message.
  • Assit with probate, administration, surrogate court matters, wills, life planning documents
  • Do not represent people in court, trusts or contested matters

City Bar Justice Center (212) 626-7383

Richmond County Bar Association
25 Hyatt Street - Suite 203
Staten Island, NY 10301
Telephone (718) 442-4500
Fax (718) 442-2019

Brooklyn Volunteer Lawyers Project (718) 624-3894

New York State Court's Court Help website: Surrogate's Court DIY Forms- • The DIY website has instructions and documents.

Safe Deposit Box Petition Program

Artivle 17 A Guardianship:

Law Help & Law Help Interactive Law Help NY
Law Help NY provides a research database to find an appropriate legal service organization, look up legal information, and DIY Forms.

Law Help Interactive
This website provies interactive assistance for legal documents.