Veterans' Peddler Licenses

Every honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States, who is a resident of this state and a veteran of any war, or who shall have served in the armed forces of the United States overseas, and the surviving spouse of any such veteran, if a resident of the state, shall have the right to hawk, peddle, vend and sell goods, wares or merchandise or solicit trade upon the streets and highways within the county of his or her residence, as the case may be, or if such county is embraced wholly by a city, within such city, by procuring a license for that purpose to be issued as herein provided.

The free vendor’s license has been offered since WWI and is upheld in the Appellate Division of the State Supreme Court. It is provided for under the state’s general business law.

Please appear in person and bring your honorable discharge paper DD214 which must show that you have served in a War or overseas, proof of Bronx County residency, and two passport size photos, two inches, by two inches.

No Fee charged for Issuing License.


The following is Required to Issue a Peddler’s License

  • Original/Certified copy of DD214 (Stating honorably discharged or Service Overseas)
  • Two 2”X2” photos of yourself with white/off-white background, taken within 10 days
  • Proof of residency in the Bronx
  • A photo ID with signature

Please bring documents with you to:

Bronx County Clerk’s Office
851 Grand Concourse, Room #118, Window #3
Bronx, NY 10451

9am to 4pm
(718) 618-3300


Filing of DD214

Any such former member of the armed forces of the United States may present to the clerk of any county in which he has resided for a period of at least six months, his original certificate of honorable discharge, or a copy thereof duly certified by the recording officer or a certificate in lieu of lost discharge issued by a department of the armed forces of the United States which shall show that the person presenting it is a veteran of any war, or that he has served overseas in the armed forces of the United States.

No Fee charged for Filing or for certified copies of the DD214

NYS Division of Veterans Affairs

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs