Hon. Jeremy S. Weinstein
Court System Holiday Schedule
|Memorial Day||Mon||May 27|
|Independence Day||Thu||July 4|
|Labor Day||Mon||September 2|
|Columbus Day||Mon||October 14|
|Election Day||Tue||November 5|
New Foreclosure Auction Time Effective Friday September 6, 2019
- Please be advised that effective Friday September 6, 2019 Foreclosure Auctions will begin at 10:30 AM.
THE E-FILING OF ALL TORT MATTERS WILL BE MANDATORY IN QUEENS COUNTY SUPREME COURT, CIVIL TERM EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 17, 2018
The Civil Term is composed of specialized departments that help the court run smoothly. Below is a list of those departments and their functions:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) - Mediation is a confidential and informal process where opposing parties meet with a trained, neutral third party to identify issues and explore options that both parties agree on. ADR can be used in a number of departments. For example, the Commercial Division promotes the use of ADR in commercial cases to avoid prolonged litigation. The Matrimonial Mediation Pilot Program links divorcing couples with trained mediators to help them reach agreements on parenting and economic matters.
- Mental Health Part - This department handles cases involving mentally ill persons - hospitalized or not - who need court orders to facilitate treatment and/or retention at or release from a mental health facility among other actions.
- Commercial Division - The Commercial Division helps solve complicated commercial disputes.
- Court Help - This office provides free comprehensive procedural advice on Supreme Court matters, such as Special Proceedings (i.e., Article 78), Matrimonial/Family proceedings, Foreclosure and other Real Property/Housing and many other proceedings to unrepresented litigants. This link on the court's website - www.nycourts.gov/courthelp - provides litigants with additional information.
- E-File - The New York State Unified Court System has established “NYSCEF,” a program that permits the filing of legal papers by electronic means with the County Clerk and the court as well as electronic service of papers in those cases.
- Ex-Parte - This office accepts all emergency applications where it is important for the party to see a judge immediately and it also processes ex-parte applications (an application where only one side is heard). Most emergency applications are brought by an order to show cause (a motion where the judge sets the return date, usually on an expedited basis). This office also handles emergency applications concerning foreclosure issues.
- Foreclosure - New legislation requires residential foreclosure conferences for nearly all foreclosures in New York State. Those conferences are scheduled here.
- Guardianship - Handles elder law matters that come under the Mental Hygiene Law, which was created to help those who can no longer help themselves.
- Matrimonial (Divorce) - Handles all divorces, including all emergency applications involving divorce.
- Motion Support - Processes notices of motions, notices of petitions, requests for preliminary conferences and proposed orders and judgments as a result of a memorandum issued through motion practice.