Filing A Petition
- A SCAR petition may be filed by any property owner who:
- was aggrieved by an assessment;
- owns and occupies a one-, two-, or three-family, residence that is used exclusively for residential purposes or owns an unimproved lot that is not of sufficient size as determined by the assessing unit to contain a one-, two-, or three-family residential structure; and
- has filed a written complaint with the Board of Assessment Review (Board) or Access Review Commission (ARC) - Nassau.
- The only condominiums that qualify as property subject to a SCAR proceeding are: (1) owner-occupied condominiums used exclusively for residential purposes that are located in Nassau County and New York City and are designated as "Class One" property, (Real Property Tax law "RPTL" §1802 ), and (2) owner-occupied condominiums used exclusively for residential purposes that have been designated in the "homestead" class in jurisdictions outside Nassau County and New York City.
- Petitions may be completed by the property owner or by a hired representative. If a representative files the petition, the property owner must complete the "Designation of Representative" section of the petition.
- NEW YORK CITY:
- OUTSIDE NEW YORK CITY:
You can use either the Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Reader to fill out the application.
To save data entered in your form, you must use the Foxit Reader.
Using Foxit* (a free & easy to download Reader):
First, download and save the application to your local computer.
Next, install Foxit, using these instructions.
*You must use Microsoft's Internet Explorer Browser when working with Foxit.