The court's staff has returned to work in person at the courthouse on a full-time basis.
Surrogate's Court users will no longer be able to file Miscellaneous and Accounting proceedings electronically through the NYSCEF system. Please see the New Efiling Protocol.
- VISITING THE COURTHOUSE: Safety measures and precautions continue to be taken to protect the health of employees and court users.
- Court staff is equipped with P.P.E., including face masks and face shields.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers, floor markers to assist with physical distancing and plexiglass partitions have been installed throughout the courthouse.
- Visitors are required to wear a mask and submit to temperature screening and questioning upon entry.
- Visitors to the different offices or departments of the court will be served in person one at a time and will continue to have the option of dropping off documents and alerting the staff of emergency applications.
- Please refrain from visiting the courthouse if you:
- Have flu-like symptoms; or
- Have recently tested positive for COVID, or have been directed to quarantine, isolate or self-monitor at home for the coronavirus by any doctor, hospital, or health agency; or
- Have recently had close contact with a person testing positive for COVID (unless you are fully vaccinated or have yourself recently recovered from COVID*); or
- Have returned from international travel within the last 10 days (unless you returned 8-10 days ago and took a viral COVID test 3-5 days after your return**).
* If you are covered by this close contact exemption, please be prepared to provide proof of vaccination or recent recovery from COVID.
** If you are covered by this exemption, please be prepared to provide proof of your test results.
Please Note: The guidelines listed here are subject to amendment in accordance with changing directives of State and federal health authorities. Check back here for updates.
- CITATIONS AND OTHER PROCESS: Citations or orders to show cause (as process) will continue to issue and they may direct in person appearances, no in-person appearances or appearances by remote or electronic means. If a virtual appearance is directed, litigants and/or their counsel will be contacted by court personnel to arrange for such appearance.
- HELP CENTER: If you don’t have an attorney and you need assistance you may visit our Help Center, which is open Monday to Friday, 9 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 4 pm in room 302.
- RECORDS ROOM: The Records Room is open to the public by appointment only. Please email Recordroom_General@nycourts.gov or call 646-386-5090 for an appointment.
- VIRTUAL AND REMOTE APPEARANCES: Most conferences and proceedings will continue to be conducted virtually.
- TRIALS AND HEARINGS: The court will continue to conduct most trials and hearings using electronic means, in particular Microsoft Teams, with parties appearing virtually. Most hearings to finalize adoptions and most hearings in Article 17-A Guardianships will be scheduled and conducted through electronic means as well.
- 2022 Calendar
The terms of this notice are subject to modification as the need arises.
Nora S. Anderson
Deputy Chief Clerk
New York County (Manhattan)
31 Chambers Street
New York, NY 10007
Serving the estates of individuals who were domiciled in New York County (Manhattan) at the time of their death.
For estate matters of decedents having been domiciled in any other county, please contact the Surrogate's Court of that county directly.
What to Do When Someone Dies
Direct Department Contacts
Miscellaneous Dept. / Calendar Clerk
(To file Affidavits of Service, Applications to Open Safe Deposit Boxes & Sealed Apartments)
(Estate & Trust Accountings)
Guardian / Adoption Department
(Infant / 17A Applications)
(Decedents leaving a will)
Administration Dept. / Small Estates
(Decedents leaving no will)
Cashier / Certificates / Certifications
Records Search & Certifications
Law Department Reception Area
New York County Public Administrator
(Estates of decedents leaving unknown heirs / Police Property Vouchers)
Phone: 212-788-8430, Room 311