As part of the measures adopted by the NYS Unified Court System to combat the spread of COVID-19, the following actions are being implemented by the New York County Surrogate’s Court:
- The court is open to handle urgent and essential matters. Parties with urgent matters may contact the Chief Clerk’s Office at (917) 509-7218
- Only essential personnel will be in the courthouse. No person should visit the courthouse without first contacting the Chief Clerk’s Office
- Until further notice, papers in urgent or essential matters must be filed by mail or, if directed by court personnel, by electronic mail. If papers are brought to the courthouse in person after consultation with the Chief Clerk’s Office, they are to be left in a box outside Room 303. In those essential matters, court personnel will contact petitioners or their counsel with directions once papers are reviewed
- All matters scheduled to be heard at calendars from March 17, 2020 through April 30, 2020 are being adjourned administratively. Parties must not appear in court. Notices of future dates for court appearances will be sent by regular mail
- No trials or hearings will commence until further notice. This includes 17-A Guardianships and finalizations of adoptions. Trials or hearings that have been adjourned to a date in March or April will be adjourned again
- Effective immediately, the court will no longer issue citations returnable before the court in March, April or May, 2020.
- The terms of this notice are subject to modification as the need arises.
For more COVID-19 info please visit nycourts.gov/whatsnew/covid.shtml
Nora S. Anderson
Deputy Chief Clerk
New York County (Manhattan)
31 Chambers Street
New York, NY 10007
Serving the estates of individuals who were domiciled in New York County (Manhattan) at the time of their death.
For estate matters of decedents having been domiciled in any other county, please contact the Surrogate's Court of that county directly.
What to Do When Someone Dies
Direct Department Contacts
Miscellaneous Dept. / Calendar Clerk
(To file Affidavits of Service, Applications to Open Safe Deposit Boxes & Sealed Apartments)
(Estate & Trust Accountings)
Guardian / Adoption Department
(Infant / 17A Applications)
(Decedents leaving a will)
Administration Dept. / Small Estates
(Decedents leaving no will)
Cashier / Certificates / Certifications
Records Search & Certifications
Law Department Reception Area
New York County Public Administrator
(Estates of decedents leaving unknown heirs / Police Property Vouchers)
Phone: 212-788-8430, Room 311