** NOTE: Masks, Social Distancing and Temperature Checks will continue to be required to obtain ACCESS TO THE 18 RICHMOND TERRACE FACILITY **
|General Clerks Office||718.675.8500|
|Help Center||718.675.8508 |
As part of the measures adopted by the NYS Unified Court System to combat the spread of COVID-19, the following actions are being implemented by the Richmond County Surrogate’s Court effective July 12, 2021:
- In Order to allow sufficient time for your In-Person Visit and/or Filing, and to avoid delays and long wait times, Members of the Public should make an appointment prior to their visit to the 18 Richmond Terrace Facility. Appointments can be made by contacting the Chief Clerk's Office at 718.675.8504 or at email@example.com
- Petitions and other papers will continue to be filed by mail USPS regular mail or Return Receipt Mail Services, and Special Mail i.e. Fed-Ex, UPS, etc. To: The Surrogate's Court Richmond County, 18 Richmond Terrace, SI, NY 10301. Please provide your contact information, including an email address, with your filing.
- In addition, The Court has been accepting filings by Electronic method through the New York State Courts Electronic Filing Program (NYSCEF) System. firstname.lastname@example.org Phone 646-386-3033
- If papers are to be delivered, receipt by a Drop Off Box located, at the Surrogate’s Court of Richmond County, 18 Richmond Terrace, 2nd Floor Stuyvesant Place Entrance, is acceptable and will continue to be coordinated with the Court. Contact the Court at 718-675-8500, immediately upon Drop-Off.
- Court personnel may contact petitioners or their counsel as needed, once filed papers are reviewed.
- Court attorneys will continue to contact the parties in matters for conference, which will continue to be conducted virtually, or by telephone.
- All matters scheduled to be heard at calendars through December 31, 2021, have been, or will be scheduled virtually, by remote, and/or In-Person. Notices of future dates of court appearances will be communicated by telephone. Inquiries on calendared matters and conferences can be made at 718.675.8505.
- Until further notice, citations are being issued by court order - alternate service and appearances. -- Please see the Court's website for sample citations and orders.
The terms of this notice are subject to modification as the need arises.
Guardianship Fingerprints and Title/Public Searches
Authorization to resume Guardianship Fingerprints and Title/Public Searches – By Appointment Only , will begin 3/22/21. Public Search Appointments will be scheduled in ½ hour segments, one person at-a-time, one appointment, per entity, per week.
The public searcher will be required to enter the building (at the handicap entrance, corner of Schuyler St and Richmond Terrace ) , and proceed through the necessary checks and assessments. You must have a face covering and submit to questioning and temperature checks by the Court Officers. The Records Room office will be stocked with Lysol Spray, paper towels ,hand sanitizer , gloves etc , and you will be required to clean (wipe down ) the computer keyboard , mouse, terminal , printer etc , BEFORE and AFTER each appointment. We would also ask that your In-Person business be limited to the Basement Level , Records Rm B-3, the 18 Richmond Terrace facility, and you should take care of any restroom needs prior to your appointment.
After the death of a loved one, surviving family members often discover they have many tasks to perform so that the decedent’s affairs may be put in order. Handling these responsibilities in a timely manner can be a confusing and added hardship to the survivors.
The Surrogate’s Court of Richmond County exercises jurisdiction over the probate of wills and grants letters testamentary and letters of administration, as well as guardianship of infants and developmentally disabled individuals. It also approves adoptions, exercises control over executors, administrators, trustees and guardians, passes upon and settles accounts of fiduciaries and renders judicial determination to the foregoing matters.
This Court meets the needs of over 500,000 residents of the borough of Staten Island. Indeed the Court for years has garnered a reputation for high standards of quality service and has been staffed by multi-talented court personnel. Yet the unique character of this Court has been maintained dating back to its earliest days.
Surrogate Matthew J. Titone and the Richmond County Surrogate’s Court stand ready to assist families whose relatives suffered physical harm or were killed as a result of the terrorist-related aircraft crashes of September 11, 2001 or the debris removal efforts that took place in the immediate aftermath of those crashes. The Richmond County Surrogate’s Court Help Center is available Monday through Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM to help families with issues relating to their deceased relatives, from permission to enter a sealed residence to answering procedural questions regarding the administration of an estate.
To contact the Court please call 718-675-8500 or visit us at 18 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY, Room 201.
18 Richmond Terrace
Staten Island, NY 10301
Honorable Matthew J. Titone
Ronald M. Cerrachio
Deputy Chief Clerk
Jane E. Stilwell