** NOTE: LIMITED ACCESS TO THE 18 RICHMOND TERRACE FACILITY IS RESTRICTED TO COURT EMPLOYEES ONLY**
As part of the measures adopted by the NYS Unified Court System to combat the spread of COVID-19, the following actions are being implemented by the Richmond County Surrogate’s Court effective August 21, 2020:
- Currently, the court is addressing all essential matters as well as non-essential matters. Most operations are being handled virtually or remotely.
- All urgent, essential matters, as well as non-essential matters are being accepted for filing
- Parties with urgent matters may continue to contact the Chief Clerk’s Office at 718.675.8504, or at email@example.com
- Only essential Court Employees will be permitted in the courthouse. Members of the Public will not have Access to the 18 Richmond Terrace Facility. No person should attempt to visit the courthouse without first contacting the Chief Clerk’s Office at 718.675.8504 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Until further notice, petitions and other papers must be filed by mail USPS regular mail or Return Receipt Mail Services, and Special Mail i.e. Fed-Ex, UPS, etc. To: Surrogate’s Court Richmond County, 18 Richmond Terrace, SI, NY 10301. Please provide your contact information, including an email address, with your filing.
- In addition, The Court is now accepting filings by Electronic method through the New York State Courts Electronic Filing Program (NYSCEF) System. email@example.com Phone 646-386-3033
- After consultation with the Chief Clerk, if papers are to be delivered in person, receipt by a Drop Off Box located, at the Surrogate’s Court of Richmond County, 18 Richmond Terrace, 2nd Floor Stuyvesant Place Entrance, will to be coordinated with the Chief Clerk. Contact the Court immediately upon Drop-Off.
- Court personnel may contact petitioners or their counsel as needed, once filed papers are reviewed.
- Court attorneys will continue to contact the parties in matters for conference, which will be conducted virtually, or by telephone.
- All “In-Person” matters scheduled to be heard at calendars through August 31, 2020, have been, or will be adjourned administratively. Parties must not appear in court. Notices of future dates of court appearances will be communicated by telephone. Inquiries on calendared matters and conferences can be made at 718.675.8505.
- No trials or hearings will commence until further notice. This includes 17-A Guardianships and finalizations of adoptions, unless there is urgency to the application.
- Until further notice, citations are being issued by court order- alternate service and appearance.
- Follwing Contact Numbers of the Richmond Surrogate's Court:
|General Clerks Office||718.675.8500|
The terms of this notice are subject to modification as the need arises.
After the death of a loved one, surviving family members often discover they have many tasks to perform so that the decedent’s affairs may be put in order. Handling these responsibilities in a timely manner can be a confusing and added hardship to the survivors.
The Surrogate’s Court of Richmond County exercises jurisdiction over the probate of wills and grants letters testamentary and letters of administration, as well as guardianship of infants and developmentally disabled individuals. It also approves adoptions, exercises control over executors, administrators, trustees and guardians, passes upon and settles accounts of fiduciaries and renders judicial determination to the foregoing matters.
This Court meets the needs of over 500,000 residents of the borough of Staten Island. Indeed the Court for years has garnered a reputation for high standards of quality service and has been staffed by multi-talented court personnel. Yet the unique character of this Court has been maintained dating back to its earliest days.
Surrogate Matthew J. Titone and the Richmond County Surrogate’s Court stand ready to assist families whose relatives suffered physical harm or were killed as a result of the terrorist-related aircraft crashes of September 11, 2001 or the debris removal efforts that took place in the immediate aftermath of those crashes. The Richmond County Surrogate’s Court Help Center is available Monday through Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM to help families with issues relating to their deceased relatives, from permission to enter a sealed residence to answering procedural questions regarding the administration of an estate.
To contact the Court please call 718-675-8500 or visit us at 18 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY, Room 201.
18 Richmond Terrace
Staten Island, NY 10301
Honorable Matthew J. Titone
Ronald M. Cerrachio
Deputy Chief Clerk
Jane E. Stilwell