Official notification of District Court courthouse closings can be obtained from:
- the Emergency Notifications link on the banner at the New York State Courts homepage
- a text message from the Court System's nycourtsnotice account
- 1-800-COURT-NY (1-800-268-7869)
- (631) 208-5775 automated answering system
- www.cancellations.com: enter the 11722 ZIP code for Central Islip - listed as “Suffolk County State Courts”
- WLNG (FM 92.1)
- WBAB (FM 102.3)
- WBLI (FM 106.1)
- Cablevision News 12
- Verizon Fios 1
Some of the civil courthouse telephone messages will also provide details of schedule changes.
If the "Suffolk County State Courts" or the "Suffolk County Courts" are closed because of weather conditions, all 6 of the District Court Courthouses are closed.
If the Courts are "closed"
- litigants are advised to contact the filing attorney or check eCourts to confirm the new date a day or two after the closing. The civil clerks will notify filing attorneys or self-represented litigants of the new court date. Special proceedings (like Landlord-Tenant matters) are usually adjourned to the next week, other cases are generally given a longer adjourned date.
- criminal and traffic defendants will be notified by mail of the new court date.
- defendants who are in the custody of the Sheriff are produced the next regular court day.
- defendants who are in the custody of any police agency awaiting arraignment are produced the next day that the court is open for arraignment.
- town ordinance defendants - The court clerks will usually notify filing attorneys or self-represented litigants of the new court date. You may call the courthouse where your case is pending 3 or 4 days after the courthouse reopens to request the new court date. Have your index number available when you call.