PLEASE NOTE THAT TESTING FOR NYS COURT OFFICER-TRAINEE EXAMINATION 45-815 BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 7, 2021 AND ENDED ON DECEMBER 10, 2021. RESULTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE E-MAILED TO APPLICANTS IN SPRING 2022 UPON ESTABLISHMENT OF THE ELIGIBLE LIST. THE EXAMINATION IS TYPICALLY HELD EVERY FOUR TO FIVE YEARS. APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ONLY DURING THE OPEN FILING PERIOD.
New York State Court Officer-Trainees, at time of appointment to the position**, must be:
• at least 20.5 years old
• a high school graduate or equivalent
• A United States Citizen
• A resident of New York State
• Valid New York State Driver’s License
• Legally eligible to purchase and carry firearms
• Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (required at start of candidate screening process)
The above minimum qualifications must be met by time of hiring. Exception is the COVID-19 fully vaccinated qualification which must be met upon conditional appointment as a NYS Court Officer-Trainee.
New York State Court Officer-Trainees enter the academy at Judicial Grade 16**. Effective April 2020, starting salary will be $51,113.
• Location Pay is $4300 for New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, and Westchester Counties. Location pay is $2150 for Orange, Dutchess and Putnam Counties.
• Twenty (20) Paid Vacation Days in the First Year
• Twelve (12) Paid Holidays
• Pre-Tour Prep Leave Time
• Regular Work Schedule
• Excellent Health Insurance
• Retirement Benefits
• Limited Evening and Weekend Assignments
• Deferred Compensation Option
For additional info about physical, medical and psychological standards and screening: http://ww2.nycourts.gov/careers/cot/screening.shtml
About the Examination
- Subject Matter
- Preparing for the Exam
- Practice Examination
- PSI Appointment Scheduling Guide
- How to Select Test Center/Date Range
- COVID-19 Safety Questionnaire
- Minor’s Release Form
Veteran Credit Form (Only for applicants claiming veteran credits)
*NY State Unified Court System employees will be required to select among the dates/times available on Saturdays and Sundays during the exam administration period. Those employees that are regularly scheduled to work weekends shall be granted excused leave to take the exam during work hours in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement or Rules of the Chief Judge.
**NY State Court Officer-Trainees who fail to meet performance standards during Academy Basic Training may be terminated at any time as the minimum probationary period under Rules of the Chief Judge 25.22(b) does not apply to New York State Court Officer-Trainees.