The library staff can provide directional, bibliographic and reference assistance. However, the staff may not select a form; explain civil or criminal procedure; interpret statutes, cases, court rules; or give assistance in preparing those documents necessary to either bring or defend an action. The staff of the library is prohibited from rendering any advice, opinion, or interpretation of the law. The user is expected to make his/her own determination as to the use of the information found.
The Kings Supreme Court Library is a non-lending library. However, the Judges of the Kings Supreme Court may borrow items. All items borrowed must be properly checked out. Check out procedures require the borrower to fill out a check-out card available from the receptionist.
Code of Patron Conduct
- Library patrons should conduct themselves at all times in a manner which does not hinder other patrons or staff members from being able to carry on their work.
- Quiet should be maintained in all reading areas. Patrons who need to converse should do so out of the library in the hallway.
- Smoking is prohibited in the library and in any part of the courthouse.
- No food or beverages including water are allowed in the library.
- Cellular phones are not to be used in the library.
- Walkways and aisles must be kept clear. They cannot be obstructed by books, large packages, or personal effects.
- Portable computers/typewriters equipped with quiet keyboards may be used in the library.
- The library staff reshelves all library materials that have been left out and are not currently being used.
- Library patrons must allow library staff or other patrons access to library materials and equipment.
- Sleeping is prohibited in the library
- Generally, children may not accompany adults who wish to consult or use law library legal reference materials or computerized databases.
- Posting or distributing any printed materials is prohibited.
- Soliciting, begging for money or attempting to sell any items within the library is prohibited.
- Suspicious, disruptive or illegal behavior will be reported to the Court Officer.
- Anyone failing to observe one or more of these rules may be asked to leave.
The policy for using the computers is on a first come first served basis. At the discretion of the librarian patron use of computers may be limited to one hour segments. Patrons must see the librarian before using the computer terminals.
Please see the librarian before using the reader/printer.